Frequently Asked Questions


When are your City Council meetings?
The City Council Meetings are the first and third Mondays of each month at 7:00 pm.

View All Meetings & Events

When are your Planning Commission meetings?
The Planning Commission meetings are the first Thursday of each month at 7:00 pm.
View All Meetings & Events
When are your Zoning Board of Appeal meetings?
The Zoning Board of Appeal meetings are the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 pm.
View All Meetings & Events


What are the hours of the City parks?
Parks are open from 8 a.m. until 10 pm. No person may be in, occupy, or use any portion of any park between the hours of 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in any parks.
Can the shelters at the parks be reserved?
No, the shelters are on a first come basis.

Lawn & Landscaping

When is brush pickup, and do I need to call and advise that I have brush to be picked up?
The Department of Public Services conducts brush pickup April, June, August, and October. The second full week of each month, crews chip brush west of US-31. The third full week, crews chip brush east of US-31. Residents should stack brush with cut ends facing the same direction. The Public Service Department will be limited to 10 minutes at each address.
Where can we take leaves?

Leaves may be dropped off at the Public Service Garage (545 Maple Street) on the west side, however, they must be in paper bags.


When are water/sewer bills sent out?
Water/Sewer bills are sent out quarterly on January 15, April 15, July 15, and October 15
What do the charges on my bill mean?

WU – is the actual water used in the building.
SU – is based on actual water usage during the first quarter (Jan, Feb, Mar) of each year.
WR – is a water maintenance charge to service the water line in front of the residence (all customers pay this)
SR – is a sewer maintenance charge to service the sewer line in front of the residence (all customers pay this)
LF – Rebuilding of the City lift stations.

FM – Replacement of the forced main sewer line under the Grand River from Spring Lake to Grand Haven.

WWTP – Upgrades to the Northwest Ottawa Water Treatment Plant.

CC – Cross Connection Inspection.

When are tax bills sent out?
Summer tax bills are sent out on July 1st and due on August 31, Winter tax bills are sent out December 1st and due on February 14.
Can I pay my taxes and water bill by credit/debit card?

Yes.  You can pay by credit/debit card in person, by calling 844-719-3090 or on-line from our website.  We also offer direct ACH payments. Click here to obtain a form.

Miscellaneous FAQ

How do I know if I need a building permit?
All construction performed in the City requires a permit. If you have any questions call City Hall at 616-842-5803 for further information.
Does my puppy need a license and how much does it cost?
Yes. For puppies 4-7 months old, the fee is $10.00 – after 7 months it would be considered an adult dog.
Can I get my dog license at Ferrysburg City Hall and how much are they?

No.  You may obtain a dog license from the Ottawa County Treasurer or a local vet office.

You may purchase your dog license online here

One Year: $10.00
Three Year: $25.00
Unsexed with Proof
One Year: $25.00
Three Year: $70.00
One Year: $10.00